Above: The Marine Exchange Lookout (a.k.a. the Octagon Building) at Lands End is decked out in bunting to celebrate its dedication in February 1927. The building replaced a shingled structure from 1889 that was located where the USS San Francisco Memorial is today. The structure was used to signal dock workers on the wharves of a particular type of ship’s arrival. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.
Below: Barely visible from the road, the Octagon Building is now surrounded by trees. It is covered with graffiti and the area is littered with debris. It is located on the hill directly behind the scenic overlook at Lands End. This photo was taken on March 28, 2022. Photo by Michael Durand.
Categories: Then and Now
Leave a Reply