This photo of the corner of Fifth and Parnassus avenues was taken by United Railroads (predecessor of Market Street Railway and Muni) staff photographer John Henry Mentz on Oct. 30, 1919.
If you could go back in time to the Richmond District circa 1890, you would find the Bay District Race Track on Fulton Street between First (Arguello) and Fourth avenues.
WNP wants its Board of Directors to better reflect the community, including folks from different backgrounds and with different perspectives. This is what gives San Francisco its unique identity and will advance the group’s community history work beyond the past and into a new decade.
In honor of their new discounted student membership (just $30 a year!) launching in 2021, Western Neighborhoods Project (WNP) and the Richmond Review / Sunset Beacon have teamed up for a contest.
A sand dune takes over the street at 23rd Avenue and Anza Street in 1914. The view appears to be looking north toward the Presidio.
This pastoral scene in the Outer Richmond in 1899 is located near the intersection of 47th Avenue and Cabrillo Street,
In April 1919, the San Francisco Board of Education passed a resolution to name the first school slated for construction after the signing of the Armistice in honor of the San Franciscans who served. The thoroughly modern Argonne School was built quickly by the Board of Public Works.
A crowd of onlookers gathers atop a Sunset District sand dune to watch the launch of McGill Glider No. 813N, by the Pacific Glider School at 33rd Avenue and Kirkham Street, on May 24, 1930.
Playland at the Beach, located between Balboa and Fulton streets at Ocean Beach, featured a fun house, rides, carnival games and the famous “It’s It” cookie ice cream sandwiches.
Monarch the Grizzly lived in a Golden Gate Park bear pit which was situated on the knoll between today’s California Academy of Sciences and the AIDS Memorial Grove.
Growing up right across the street from Abraham Lincoln High School, Ungaretti did not really know all of the intricate details of the area until she began doing research and talking to people.
This photograph, circa 1940, shows the Municipal Railway’s storage yard for streetcars,
which was located between Lincoln Way and Irving Street and 12th and Funston avenues.
To commemorate the centennial of the opening of the old Coliseum Theatre, the local history organization Western Neighborhoods Project will host two presentations on west side neighborhood movie houses at its “home for history,” located at 1617 Balboa St.
Historical photo from a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project.