Western Neighborhoods Project (WNP), a community history nonprofit, will open a temporary museum in the former Cliff House Gift Shop in partnership with ACT Art Conservation and The Great Highway gallery with support from the Golden Gate National Recreation Area’s Park Archives and Records Center (PARC) and the Global Museum at SF State.
In this San Francisco Department of Public Works photo taken by Horace Chaffee, the Moraga Street Stairway to Golden Gate Heights was just completed in January 1928.
The Quonq Sing Laundry at 433 Seventh Ave. (now 465 Seventh Ave.) between Geary Boulevard and Anza Street is one of the earliest Chinese-owned businesses in the Richmond District. The structure was built in 1902 and was incorporated into the 1987 building currently on the same site.
When Alexandra Mitchell, the owner and principal fine art conservator at ACT Art Conservation, learned that the Cliff House’s art works and memorabilia were slated to be auctioned off in mid-March, she knew something had to be done.
In 1951, 4055 Irving St. at the corner of 42nd Avenue was the Portola Market advertising fancy fruits and choice meats. It was run for many years as A-1 Liquor & Groceries, until Palm City Wines recently took over …
In January 1904, Fulton Street and 10th Avenue was home to the Fulton Chutes. Owned by Charles Ackerman, the Chutes took up an entire city block …
Join us for “Monuments, Murals and Memorials” moderated by Executive Director Nicole Meldahl of Western Neighborhoods Project on Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 6:00pm via Zoom
Elevated view looking north over a Market Street Railway boneyard bounded by homes on 14th Avenue and Golden Gate Park seen beyond Lincoln Way in the distance, circa 1940. This is where the Park West Apartments and Andronico’s are now.
This is what Clement Street near Eighth Avenue looked like in 1904. The view is looking east with the Richmond Congregational Church on the right on the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue.
Western Neighborhoods Project seeks student applications for paid summer work.
A group of workers raise telephone poles on Geary Boulevard near 38th Avenue, circa 1915. In this view looking west, homes are visible in the distance – some of which still exist.
The “Chinese in the Richmond” initiative, first launched in 2019, is a companion to the CHSA’s “Chinese in the Sunset” project. Together with the Sunset project, the family photos, school garments, awards, business documents and first-person stories brought in by the Richmond’s Chinese residents, will help weave together the narrative of how the west side’s vibrant Chinese community came to be.
This Open House will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, April 24, in real life at the WNP office at 1617 Balboa St.
People wait at 31st Avenue and Judah Street for a glimpse of a packed and decorated N-Judah streetcar on Oct. 21, 1928 – opening day for this new Muni line in the Sunset District.
Looking northwest from Sweeny Observatory at the top of Strawberry Hill in Golden Gate Park in 1898, this picture shows a sandy Richmond District and barren Lincoln Park. Prayerbook Cross is in the center foreground.