Photos of Sunset Boulevard from 1931 (before it was paved) and recently in 2022.
Photos of the Alexandria Theatre on Geary Boulevard from 1943 and 2022.
The Pioneer Log Cabin near Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park was dedicated in 1911. It is still in great shape because it is made of interlocking unpeeled redwood logs. Redwood is resistant to both insects and rot if water is not left to collect on it.
Below: This is the view looking west from Parnassus and Fifth avenues in 1948. Back then, the Muni 6-Line streetcar (#159) was in service. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory. […]
Comparing photos of the Cliff House from 1900 with 2022.
View of 20th Avenue at Judah Street looking north toward Golden Gate Park, circa 1937. This photo, from the outsidelands.org website, is labeled “17-Line MSRy streetcar #131.”
This view looking north on Stanyan Street at McAllister Street shows the Odd Fellows Cemetery in the distance. Located in the undeveloped Outside Lands, the cemetery was legally deeded to the Odd Fellows Organization and officially opened in November 1865. Bordered by Geary Boulevard, Turk Street, Parker Avenue and Arguello Boulevard, the cemetery consisted of approximately 30 acres. On March 26, 1900, the City passed an ordinance prohibiting burials within the city limits. From 1929 to 1935, the bodies were moved to Greenlawn Cemetery in Colma, just south of San Francisco. Photo taken on Dec. 12, 1927.
Comparison photos of Taraval Street Avenue from 1923 to 2022.
Comparison photos of 18th Avenue from 1914 to 2022.
Comparison photos of 46th and 47th Avenues from 1917 to 2022.
Comparison photos of Fulton Street and 48th Avenue from 1913 to 2022
Comparison photos of the N-Judah streetcar and Inner Sunset neighborhood from 1964 to 2022.
Photos of the Octagon Building from 1927 and 2022.
In November 1952, folks at Busy Bee Market on the northwest corner of 46th Avenue and Irving Street watched the neighborhood flood. Hard to believe as the Bay Area continues to endure an “exceptional” drought.
The view north across Geary Boulevard from Arguello Boulevard, January 1947. The Larkins Building (the former Park and Ocean Railroad Co. Geary Street Carbarn), with signage for T.F. Ormand Dodge and Plymouth dealer at left, Roosevelt Junior High School at right.