This picture from photographer A.J. McDonald shows the view looking north from the roof of the first Cliff House towards Cliff Cottage and Point Lobos, circa 1880s. The Cliff Cottage was badly damaged when the schooner Parallel exploded in January 1887, and this site went on to become home to the Sutro Baths. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.
The history of Louis’ Restaurant brings a rich visual story of not just the location but also the people, friends, family, employees and even Adolph Sutro’s nephew who negotiated a deal with Louie and his wife Helen in opening up a cafe on the Point Lobos Avenue cliffside in 1936.