It would take a keen eye to recognize this building on Ninth Avenue between Irving and Judah streets.
A sand dune takes over the street at 23rd Avenue and Anza Street in 1914. The view appears to be looking north toward the Presidio.
Photo of three women sitting atop a sand dune near the foot of Lincoln Way at Ocean Beach in 1899.
This pastoral scene in the Outer Richmond in 1899 is located near the intersection of 47th Avenue and Cabrillo Street,
Looking east toward Ninth Avenue in 1910, Irving Street was lined with private residences and a few scattered shops. Beyond this burgeoning corridor you can see the Affiliated Colleges peeking out from the forested peaks of Mt. Sutro. That is UCSF’s Parnassus Campus today.
This glass negative shows a slice of life at the Lands End Station near Mile Rock in 1906. People waiting for a United Railroads streetcar along this electrified Cliff Line could take in the view from benches along its perimeter, or escape the unpredictable weather and grab a snack from the waiting room inside.
This peaceful scene in 1900 shows what today is the busy intersection of 19th Avenue and Moraga Street, looking north toward Golden Gate Park in the distance.
As rationing began during World War II in 1943, the line for Denhard’s Market at 701 10th Ave. near Cabrillo stretched down the block.
The history of Louis’ Restaurant brings a rich visual story of not just the location but also the people, friends, family, employees and even Adolph Sutro’s nephew who negotiated a deal with Louie and his wife Helen in opening up a cafe on the Point Lobos Avenue cliffside in 1936.
A main attraction of the Richmond District since it opened in 1896, the Sutro Baths was already in decline when this Kodachrome slide was taken circa 1957.
A packed parking lot along the Great Highway in front of the Cabrillo Street entrance to Chutes at the Beach, circa 1932. This was the main gate to an amusement area that became known as Playland at the Beach, where visitors could get sweet waffles (a favorite treat) before enjoying popular attractions such as the Aeroplane Swing and Ferris wheel, visible in the distance.
… passing by the Dutch Windmill and the sloop Gjoa on the western edge of Golden Gate Park. Famed explorer Roald Amundsen sailed the Gjoa through the Northwest Passage, reaching Alaska in 1905 and bringing her to dock in San Francisco in October 1906.
When this photograph, looking southeast towards Lone Mountain from Ninth Avenue near Geary Boulevard, was taken around 1890, the Star of the Sea Church, built in 1888, was still a new addition to the neighborhood. Visible in the distance is the Bay District Racetrack, Golden Gate Park and Mt. Sutra.
The photo, circa 1905, above shows a three-story home made from old horsecars on La Playa, between Irving and Judah streets, in a bohemian enclave known as Carville at Ocean Beach.
The shipwrecked lumber schooner “Reporter” ran aground on Ocean Beach near what is now Noriega Street on March 13, 1902.