This view is looking northwest on Quintara Street at Sunset Boulevard around 1940.
Most of the buildings on the north side of Clement Street and Funston Avenue (then known as 13th Avenue) in this May 1920 photograph still stand. It is also still possible to stand on this same patch of grass next to the former Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist building that has been reincarnated as the Internet Archive.
In this San Francisco Department of Public Works photo taken by Horace Chaffee, the Moraga Street Stairway to Golden Gate Heights was just completed in January 1928.
The Quonq Sing Laundry at 433 Seventh Ave. (now 465 Seventh Ave.) between Geary Boulevard and Anza Street is one of the earliest Chinese-owned businesses in the Richmond District. The structure was built in 1902 and was incorporated into the 1987 building currently on the same site.
When Alexandra Mitchell, the owner and principal fine art conservator at ACT Art Conservation, learned that the Cliff House’s art works and memorabilia were slated to be auctioned off in mid-March, she knew something had to be done.
In 1951, 4055 Irving St. at the corner of 42nd Avenue was the Portola Market advertising fancy fruits and choice meats. It was run for many years as A-1 Liquor & Groceries, until Palm City Wines recently took over …
In January 1904, Fulton Street and 10th Avenue was home to the Fulton Chutes. Owned by Charles Ackerman, the Chutes took up an entire city block …
A group of workers raise telephone poles on Geary Boulevard near 38th Avenue, circa 1915. In this view looking west, homes are visible in the distance – some of which still exist.
Looking northwest from Sweeny Observatory at the top of Strawberry Hill in Golden Gate Park in 1898, this picture shows a sandy Richmond District and barren Lincoln Park. Prayerbook Cross is in the center foreground.
This photo of the corner of Fifth and Parnassus avenues was taken by United Railroads (predecessor of Market Street Railway and Muni) staff photographer John Henry Mentz on Oct. 30, 1919.
If you could go back in time to the Richmond District circa 1890, you would find the Bay District Race Track on Fulton Street between First (Arguello) and Fourth avenues.
A crowd gathers near the original Beach Chalet on Ocean Beach in 1914 to witness rough seas.
This picture from photographer A.J. McDonald shows the view looking north from the roof of the first Cliff House towards Cliff Cottage and Point Lobos, circa 1880s. The Cliff Cottage was badly damaged when the schooner Parallel exploded in January 1887, and this site went on to become home to the Sutro Baths. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.
It would take a keen eye to recognize this building on Ninth Avenue between Irving and Judah streets.