This view looking north on Stanyan Street at McAllister Street shows the Odd Fellows Cemetery in the distance. Located in the undeveloped Outside Lands, the cemetery was legally deeded to the Odd Fellows Organization and officially opened in November 1865. Bordered by Geary Boulevard, Turk Street, Parker Avenue and Arguello Boulevard, the cemetery consisted of approximately 30 acres. On March 26, 1900, the City passed an ordinance prohibiting burials within the city limits. From 1929 to 1935, the bodies were moved to Greenlawn Cemetery in Colma, just south of San Francisco. Photo taken on Dec. 12, 1927.
The view north across Geary Boulevard from Arguello Boulevard, January 1947. The Larkins Building (the former Park and Ocean Railroad Co. Geary Street Carbarn), with signage for T.F. Ormand Dodge and Plymouth dealer at left, Roosevelt Junior High School at right.
Above: In 1950, the Parkside Branch Library at 1200 Taraval St. was under construction. It was the first of eight Modern-style city branches constructed by the architectural firm of Appleton and Wolfard […]
This is the view looking north on a partially developed 45th Avenue, between Balboa and Anza streets, in June 1922. Houses on the east side of the 600 block of 45th Avenue are some of the oldest in the neighborhood and they still stand.
Elevated view looking north over a Market Street Railway boneyard bounded by homes on 14th Avenue and Golden Gate Park seen beyond Lincoln Way in the distance, circa 1940. This is where the Park West Apartments and Andronico’s are now.
This is what Clement Street near Eighth Avenue looked like in 1904. The view is looking east with the Richmond Congregational Church on the right on the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue.
On Feb. 24, 1930, a tornado (yes, a tornado) hit John Voltz’s house at 46th Avenue and Ortega Street. It was repaired and remains in the same location today.
People wait at 31st Avenue and Judah Street for a glimpse of a packed and decorated N-Judah streetcar on Oct. 21, 1928 – opening day for this new Muni line in the Sunset District.
In 1910, Adolph Sutro’s massive estate, including this area, was assessed by A.S. Baldwin, creating a block-by-block photographic record of much of the west side. This photo of Block 625, No. 35, shows the southeasterly corner of Irving (then known as I Street) and 48th Avenue, looking north to the Murphy Windmill in Golden Gate Park.
The Laguna Honda School on Seventh Avenue near Irving Street was under construction when a devastating earthquake hit San Francisco on April 18, 1906. In this photo, taken shortly after the quake, you can see the building suffered some damage. The original school buildings are visible to the right, behind the new one. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.
This view, looking north at 19th Avenue and Lincoln Way, shows the Breon Gate entrance to Golden Gate Park in its original form, around 1930.
Historical photo from San Francisco’s past.
Vintage photo of Golden Gate Park, the Richmond District, the Presidio and marin.