In 1951, 4055 Irving St. at the corner of 42nd Avenue was the Portola Market advertising fancy fruits and choice meats. It was run for many years as A-1 Liquor & Groceries, until Palm City Wines recently took over …
In January 1904, Fulton Street and 10th Avenue was home to the Fulton Chutes. Owned by Charles Ackerman, the Chutes took up an entire city block …
Elevated view looking north over a Market Street Railway boneyard bounded by homes on 14th Avenue and Golden Gate Park seen beyond Lincoln Way in the distance, circa 1940. This is where the Park West Apartments and Andronico’s are now.
This is what Clement Street near Eighth Avenue looked like in 1904. The view is looking east with the Richmond Congregational Church on the right on the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue.
On Feb. 24, 1930, a tornado (yes, a tornado) hit John Voltz’s house at 46th Avenue and Ortega Street. It was repaired and remains in the same location today.
A group of workers raise telephone poles on Geary Boulevard near 38th Avenue, circa 1915. In this view looking west, homes are visible in the distance – some of which still exist.
People wait at 31st Avenue and Judah Street for a glimpse of a packed and decorated N-Judah streetcar on Oct. 21, 1928 – opening day for this new Muni line in the Sunset District.
Looking northwest from Sweeny Observatory at the top of Strawberry Hill in Golden Gate Park in 1898, this picture shows a sandy Richmond District and barren Lincoln Park. Prayerbook Cross is in the center foreground.
This photo of the corner of Fifth and Parnassus avenues was taken by United Railroads (predecessor of Market Street Railway and Muni) staff photographer John Henry Mentz on Oct. 30, 1919.
If you could go back in time to the Richmond District circa 1890, you would find the Bay District Race Track on Fulton Street between First (Arguello) and Fourth avenues.
A crowd gathers near the original Beach Chalet on Ocean Beach in 1914 to witness rough seas.
In 1910, Adolph Sutro’s massive estate, including this area, was assessed by A.S. Baldwin, creating a block-by-block photographic record of much of the west side. This photo of Block 625, No. 35, shows the southeasterly corner of Irving (then known as I Street) and 48th Avenue, looking north to the Murphy Windmill in Golden Gate Park.
This picture from photographer A.J. McDonald shows the view looking north from the roof of the first Cliff House towards Cliff Cottage and Point Lobos, circa 1880s. The Cliff Cottage was badly damaged when the schooner Parallel exploded in January 1887, and this site went on to become home to the Sutro Baths. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.
The Laguna Honda School on Seventh Avenue near Irving Street was under construction when a devastating earthquake hit San Francisco on April 18, 1906. In this photo, taken shortly after the quake, you can see the building suffered some damage. The original school buildings are visible to the right, behind the new one. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project/OpenSFHistory.