From the San Francisco Police Department:
On Monday, Oct. 18, at approximately 5:40 p.m., San Francisco Police officers responded to the 2500 block of Sutter Street regarding a potential suicidal subject who was armed with a knife and would not leave the residence. When officers attempted to verbally contact the subject, he told officers he would start shooting if police came in.
Officers identified the individual as a 25-year-old San Francisco resident. Officers determined the suspect had four felony warrants and eight misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. Additionally, he had various prior charges for firearm related violations.
Due to the statements and actions demonstrated by the suspect, the nature of his outstanding warrants, and his prior firearm history, officers requested additional resources to respond to the scene. Members of the SFPD’s Tactical Unit, Specialist Team, and Hostage Negotiation Team arrived to assist in attaining the suspect’s peaceful surrender. His family also worked with officers on scene, providing relevant information to negotiators.
During negotiations, the suspect repeatedly armed himself with various edged-weapons and brandished them to officers. The suspect also told officers numerous times he wanted to die via suicide by cop because he did not want to return to jail and this was his only option.
Several hours later, the suspect emerged from the residence and started advancing towards officers’ positions while holding an unknown object. Officers deployed two different less-lethal options at him to gain his compliance. Upon being struck by the less-lethal options, the suspect retreated to the residence and announced he would surrender. He exited the residence, complied with officers’ commands, and was taken into custody without further incident.
The suspect was transported to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital for a medical evaluation and ultimately cleared for booking. He was also referred to the Department of Public Health for additional resources.
The suspect was booked at San Francisco County Jail for his outstanding warrants on the following charges:
- 594 (b)(1) PC (2 counts) – Vandalism
- 10851(a) CVC (4 counts) – Vehicle Theft
- 459 PC (3 counts) – Burglary, second degree
- 466 PC (2 counts) – Possession of Burglary Tools
- 25400(a)(1) PC (2 counts) – Carrying a Concealed Weapon in a Vehicle
- 166 (a)(4) PC (2 counts) – Violation of a Court Order
- 12500(a) CVC (2 counts) – Driving without a License
- 23104(a) (2 Counts) – Reckless Driving Causing Injury
- 496d(a) PC (3 counts) – Possession of Stolen Vehicle
- 10851(a) (2 counts) – Driving/Taking Vehicle Without Consent
- 496(a) (2 counts) – Receiving Known Stolen Property
- 485 PC (2 counts) – Appropriation of Lost Property
- 11377(a) HS – Possession of a Controlled Substance
While an arrest has been made, this remains an open investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the SFPD Tip Line at (415) 575-4444 or Text a Tip to TIP411 and begin the text message with SFPD. You may remain anonymous.
Categories: Press Release