The SFMTA Board voted on Tues., Oct. 6 to award the contract for segment B work of the L-Taraval Improvement Project to NTK Construction, Inc. to continue infrastructure improvements along the L-Taraval corridor between Sunset Boulevard. and West Portal. The first phase of construction, Segment A (between Sunset Blvd. and 19th Ave.) was completed in July on time and within budget.
Segment B will continue the improvements along the L-Taraval line from Sunset Blvd. to 15th Ave., and on Ulloa St. near West Portal. Construction is slated to begin early 2022 and last through 2024.
The project is a multi-agency collaboration with the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and San Francisco Public Works to upgrade and replace aging infrastructure that will continue to make improvements to make pedestrian crossing safer, increase accessibility, improve transit reliability for Muni customers, rehabilitate water and sewer infrastructure, and enhance landscaping along Taraval St.
Planned upgrades in the area include:
- Rail track and overhead line replacement
- Water and sewer line replacement
- Surface repaving
- Curb ramp upgrades
- Concrete boarding islands and pedestrian bulbs
- Traffic signals
- New trees and landscaping
To improve safety and reliability while retaining access to key destinations, the following permanent stop changes will be implemented as part of segment B:
- Taraval St. and 17th Ave. (eastbound) will be relocated from the near side to the far side of the intersection once the new island is constructed.
- 15th Ave. and Taraval St. (eastbound) will be removed once the boarding island at 17th Ave. is constructed
- Ulloa St. and Forest Side Ave. (westbound and eastbound) will be relocated to Ulloa St. and 14th Ave
Over the course of the project there will be five equipment staging locations previously identified during a series of community outreach in the fall of 2019. These are planned at:
- Santiago St. between 22nd and 24th avenues
- 20th Ave. between Ulloa and Wawona streets
- Wawona St. between 21st and 23rd avenues
- 36th Ave. between Taraval and Ulloa streets
- Taraval St. between 12th and 15th avenues (center median)
Community meetings to provide project updates are being planned for later this fall. Stay up to date on developments on the L Taraval Improvement Project by visiting SFMTA.com/LTaravalProject and/or sign up for email or text updates.
Questions or concerns? Please contact us at LTaravalProject@SFMTA.com or 415.646.4771.
Categories: Press Release