From SFMTA: Beginning Saturday, Aug. 22, several targeted bus routes will be restored or extended and frequencies improved on some routes to continue to support essential trips and physical distancing. Temporary modified Muni Metro service will also be returning.
- J Church: Surface-only route between Balboa Park and Church & Market
- LK Taraval-Ingleside: Combined, surface-only route, between SF Zoo and Balboa Park. Transfer required to/from downtown at West Portal.
- L Bus Construction Shuttle: Bus substitution between SF Zoo and Sunset Boulevard related to L Taraval Improvement Project construction. Express bus service between Sunset and West Portal.
- N Judah: Full route between Ocean Beach (La Playa) and Embarcadero
- S Shuttle: New subway-only route between West Portal and Embarcadero
- TM Third-Oceanview: Full T Third and M Oceanview routes, combined between West Portal and Embarcadero
- 7 Haight-Noriega: Full route restored between Ortega at 48th Avenue and the Salesforce Transit Center using longer 60-foot buses
- 14 Mission: Line will be served by 60-foot electric trolley coaches instead of motor coaches.
- 12 Pacific Community Shuttle: Modified route extended between Jackson/Van Ness and Sansome/Sutter
- 28 19th Avenue: Weekend service added for modified route between Daly City BART and California/7th Avenue
- 30 Stockton: Route extended to Crissy Field/Mason in the Presidio between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. daily. All other times, the 30 Stockton terminal will be Divisadero/Chestnut
- 37 Corbett: Modified route restored between Twin Peaks and Market/Van Ness via Market Street
- 38 Geary: 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily, buses will alternately terminate at Geary Boulevard/32nd Avenue or Fort Miley VA Hospital. All other times, the 38 Geary will terminate at 48th Avenue/Point Lobos. Buses to Fort Miley VA Hospital will layover then continue inbound servicing all existing stops.
- 44 O’Shaughnessy: Full route restored between Hunters Point and California/6th Avenue
- 45 Union-Stockton: Full route restored between Townsend/4th Street and Lyon/Greenwich
- 48 Quintara-24th: Modified route restored between 20th Street/3rd Street and West Portal Station
- 49 Van Ness-Mission: 60-foot buses will replace the 40-foot buses
- 54 Felton: Full route restored between Hunters Point and Daly City BART
- 67 Bernal Heights: Full route restored between Ellsworth/Crescent and 24th Street BART Station
- The following routes will have more frequent service: 8 Bayshore, 9 San Bruno, 9R San Bruno Rapid, 12 Pacific Community Shuttle, 14 Mission, 19 Polk, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 25 Treasure Island, 28 19th Avenue, 29 Sunset, 43 Masonic, 44 O’Shaughnessy
- Muni Metro bus substitution during weekend early morning hours (5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.): To align with BART’s weekend station opening schedule, Muni Metro will not operate in the subway until 8:00 a.m. on weekends. Buses will substitute service between approximately 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on weekends. Visit our Rail Recovery page to see more details about weekend early morning Metro bus service. Please refer to individual route pages for detailed routing and stop locations.
Enhancing cleaning methods and restoring Muni Metro enables us to restore additional bus routes and put more buses in service on high ridership routes to provide greater connectivity and more room for physical distancing. The temporary changes to rail are necessary to reduce chronic delays in the subway and improve rail reliability.
These Muni service updates are likely to be the last major changes tied to San Francisco’s reopening plan. The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply affected the SFMTA’s budget, limiting our ability to put more vehicles into service. We may make some additional adjustments to service in the fall but making major service changes or restoring more routes will depend on securing additional revenue and relaxation of vehicle capacity restrictions.