The photo above, taken in 1960, shows many changes. The sculpture, “The Whales” by Robert Boardman Howard, was originally exhibited at the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island from 1939-40, then moved to the location shown above, in front of the old Steinhart Aquarium in Golden Gate Park. Removed when the California Academy of Sciences was renovated in 2008, the sculpture now awaits restoration at City College of San Francisco. To the left is the Francis Scott Key monument, which was also moved to make way for the Academy’s expansion in 1967. It was restored and rededicated in 1977 to where it is now stands – on the eastern end of the Music Concourse. Visible behind both is the old de Young Museum, which was badly damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake and replaced by the Herzog & de Meuron building located there today. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project.