This photo shows the northwest corner of Ninth Avenue and Geary Boulevard, the future site of the Pacific Telephone Company building. Seen here around 1923, the 4500 block of Geary was home to a variety of necessary trades, such as a carpenter, moving company, locksmith and glass shop, which was typical of the neighborhood at the time. Barely visible in the background (middle right) is the Richmond Branch Library. Built in 1914, it was the first building in San Francisco to be constructed with funds from Andrew Carnegie. Photo courtesy of a private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project.