Assembly – Phil Ting

DMV now open Saturdays

by Assemblyman Phil Ting

Almost every Californian, drivers and non-drivers alike, has to interact with our Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). And we all have heard or experienced horror stories about long waits at the DMV office.

The time one needs to spend at the DMV can be reduced by booking an appointment in advance, but it’s almost impossible to get a slot that’s sooner than two months out.

For years, constituents have suggested that the DMV be open for additional hours, including on the weekends. I’m proud to announce that your pleas have been heard. Select DMV offices, including the one in San Francisco, are now open from 8 a.m. to
1 p.m. every first and third Saturday of the month. Please note that behind-the-wheel tests will not be available on Saturdays.

These additional hours will help reduce wait times, as many of us will need to visit the DMV sometime in the next two years to obtain a new federally-compliant identification card, called REAL ID. Beginning in October of 2020, anyone wishing to board a domestic flight or enter a federal facility must present this new form of identification.

The California driver’s licenses that we hold now are not in federal compliance and will not be accepted for these purposes. Yes, even for a domestic flight. Be advised that your passport, as it is federally issued, can still be used for these purposes after October 2020.

A REAL I.D. application can only be submitted in person. In order to apply, I suggest you make an appointment and take advantage of the new Saturday hours. Please be aware that you will need to bring certain documents with you in order to apply for the

First, you will need to bring a document that proves your identity. These can include your unexpired passport or passport card (it can be a U.S. passport or a foreign passport with a valid U.S. visa and I-94 form), a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or citizenship, a permanent resident card and others.

Secondly, you will need proof of your Social Security number. For this, you can bring your Social Security card, your W-2 or 1099 form for taxes or your pay stub, if it has your full Social Security number.

Finally, you need proof of your address. This can be proven by your lease, deed to your property, mortgage, utility bill and many other documents. If you would also like to change your name when getting your REAL I.D., you can bring your marriage certificate, domestic partnership registration or any document that has your legal name both before and after the name change, among others.

For a full list of acceptable documents to apply for a REAL I.D. or to book an appointment to visit a DMV branch, visit the DMV’s website at If you are in need of assistance with the DMV or any other state agency, please feel free to contact my district office at (415) 557-2312.

Phil Ting represents the 19th Assembly District, which includes the west side of San Francisco.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s