This photograph, circa 1930, shows the Playland at the Beach amusement park, which was located at Ocean Beach between Balboa and Fulton streets. The trees in the background are at Sutro Heights Park, named after former SF Mayor Adolph Sutro, who owned the site. In the upper left the parapet for sightseeing at Sutro’s house is visible. It was located just above the Cliff House Restaurant. Playland featured a roller coaster, ferris wheel, the chute and other amusements, as well as food and refreshments. The amusement park closed in the ’60s and was eventually replaced with condominiums. Photo courtesy of private collector/Western Neighborhoods Project.